GINGER TURMERIC CREME CARAMEL
By Chef Holly Chute, Ga Ag
Southern Coastal Region
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Fill a 9-inch-by-13-inch ovenproof baking dish 1/3 of the way with hot water, and place in the oven.
- Have six 6-ounce ramekins ready to fill.
- In a small skillet heat ¾ cup sugar over medium heat. As sugar begins to caramelize, stir to brown evenly.
- When caramel reaches deep golden color, divide evenly between 6 ramekins. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, yolks, sugar and spices, whisking to combine well.
- Heat milk over medium heat until just about to boil. Whisk hot milk gradually into egg sugar mixture. Add vanilla extract to hot milk mixture then strain thru fine sieve.
- Divide custard evenly between 6 ramekins.
- Place custard cups carefully into water bath in oven.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until center just begins to set. It should still be a little jiggly. Carefully remove from water bath to cool.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- To unmold, place each cup in a shallow dish of hot water to soften caramel.
- Use a small knife to run around edge of dish then unmold by placing serving dish upside down over cup then flip over to unmold.
Show us a picture of your delicious creation.