PEACH-STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
By Chef John Szymanski, Kroger Head Chef
Blue Ridge Mountains Region
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf Italian bread
- 1/4 cup peach preserves
- 1/3 cup chopped peaches
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter Pecan Syrup:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Beat first three ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Cut ends from bread. Cut bread into six slices; cut a pocket through top crust of each slice.
Stuff each slice evenly with cream cheese mixture; place in a 9-by-13-inch dish.
- Whisk together eggs, half and half, and vanilla; pour over bread slices.
Cover and chill 30 minutes, turning once.
- Cook bread slices on a lightly greased griddle over medium-high 3 minutes on both sides until golden. Finish cooking in 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Serve with butter pecan syrup.
- To make the butter pecan syrup, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pour immediately over French toast.