BLUEBERRY CREAM PIE WITH CEREAL CRUST
By By Chef Holly Chute, Ga Ag
Southern Coastal Region
- 6 Cups Oatmeal Crisp cereal (or your favorite cereal)
- ½ Cup butter, melted
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- Pulse cereal in a food processor until you have coarse crumbs.
- Add melted butter to food processor and pulse several times until mixture begins to gather together.
- Press crumb mixture into 9 inch pie plate covering bottom and sides of pie plate.
- You can use a second pie plate to press mixture into place firmly. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and flour in a medium bowl until light and lemon colored.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture forms bubbles and does not quite come to a boil.
- Gradually whisk hot milk into egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly to prevent curdling.
- Pour mixture back into pot and bring slowly up to boil.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla.
- Place blueberries in bottom of crust then pour custard over top.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- You can garnish with whipped cream if desired.